Shot of the engine before I put everything back together again.
Few little dramas on the way.
The new thermostat housing didn't quite fit the thermostat and I ended up with coolant allover the floor.
Once all together, I tried starting it but no luck, the battery went flat before I could turn it over.
Put the battery on charge for a couple of days and tried again.
Still no luck.
Needed to check the three major elements of an engine.
Compression: Should be fine. Brand new engine. If anything, the compression should be a bit high as its not run in yet.
Spark: Checked all the terminals and leads. All connected. Was running before, should be fine. Also a bit difficult to check the spark on your own.
Fuel: Hmmmm. No fuel in the carby when I pulled on the throttle.
Took the fuel line off the carby . Petrol went everywhere! Appears to be a blockage at the carby. Thought it might be the control needle from the float. Swappewd it for one off another carby I had. Success. The engine turned over, but fuel started pouring out of the top of the fuel chamber like a tap. Turn it off.
Pulled the carby off, took the top of and checked the floats. Appears it might have been stuck. Put the original fuel line connector back on and reinstalled the carby. Turned the key and the engine started.
No noises. No scares. Just a nice sounding V8 humming along.
I now just need to tune it and it should sound awesome. Well not as awesome as when I put the Genie headers on and split it into a dual exhaust. But that's for another day that might be tomorrow, next week or next month. The body is priority now.